When do you
The moment has finally come, you are in labor. A very special moment that your baby will soon be born, but this is of course also very exciting. When do you call your midwife? For us it is important that you know: during labor you can call us at any time.
There are also other moments when we want you to call us:
- With regular contractions, 4-5 minutes apart with a duration of a minute.
- When your water breaks:
if it has a yellow/green color
if your baby has not yet descended into the pelvis
- Excessive blood loss
- If you are worried about anything
Informational video (in Dutch)
Where do you want to give birth?
What do you take with you to the hospital?
- Comfortable clothes to give birth in
- Clean clothes for after childbirth (also for partner)
- Toiletries (don’t forget hair tie and lip balm)
- Clothes, hat, warm wrap or blanket for the baby
- Phone charger
- Folder from the midwife
- Maternity guide from the kraamzorg organization
- Child seat for in the car
- 2 euro coin for the wheelchair
- Debit card for hospital parking garage
How do I prepare for my delivery?
- Get sufficient rest. When you are rested and fit it makes you stronger whilst giving birth.
- Read information about giving birth
- Preparing for your delivery Birthing positions, which delivery position is right for you? How do you deal with pain?
- Information evening at Eva van Hoorn: Every two weeks, Eva van Hoorn’s midwives organize an information evening about childbirth. You are very welcome to come here with your partner. The information evenings are free and you can register via the website of the GGD Hollands Noorden.
- Pregnancy course: there are many different courses on pregnancy and childbirth offered in the region. Look around to see what fits you!
- Conversations with your midwife: we like to talk about the delivery with you during your pregnancy. What are your wishes, do you dread something, do you have a birth plan, when do you call us, what do you expect from us? If you are afraid of giving birth, please discuss this with us. That is precisely where good preparation is extra important. We would like to guide you personally and professionally and listen to your wishes during this special moment!
- Birth plan: Sometimes it can be nice to put your wishes and thoughts about the delivery and birth on paper in advance. We will then discuss everything you put in this birth plan with you. During the delivery we try to take into account all your wishes as much as possible. If things go differently, we will discuss this with you (and/or your partner) so that we can make the right choice at that time. It is certainly not mandatory to make a birth plan, maybe this does not suit you, this is also fine!